Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] I hate olives...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 06:49:19 PDT 2002

Would you believe that our local Safeway has these...and I think they're
quite good!  They also have them stuffed with almonds.

A good friend of mine (actually taught me to cook in the SCA) developed the
following pickled mushroom recipe from a 14th century Italian recipe (not
sure of the source here.....)

2 parts olive oil
1 part white wine vinegar
1/2 part white wine
oregano to taste
basil to taste
onion sliced and made into rings
Greek olives
mushrooms

Basically, you make a marinade or pickling brine from the first five
ingredients and pour over a mixture of the last 3.  I usually dump the brine
from the Greek olives (if I've purchased the bottled variety) into the
liquid as well...seems a waste to dispose of that wonderful stuff.  I know I
haven't provided any quantities, but it's one of those things where I add
things "until it's enough".  Sorry about that!

Kiri