[Sca-cooks] meatloaf making...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jul 7 23:30:28 PDT 2002

At 02:04 AM 7/8/02 EDT, you wrote:
>--
>> What is it about boys and gross stuff? I'm
>> not sure they ever outgrow it either
>
>can you say..."car engines"?......or armor making for that matter.  Not
>"gross"...but pretty darn "dirty".   Of course, we won't even mention the
>ones who cook.....
>
>Etain

Mine likes BIG TRUCKS and BIG HOSES... if that ain't Freudian, what is?

But cooking?... Ok- I find it immensely irritating that he is a better cook
than I am. I'm good at the Mama food, but he is far better at the fine
stuff, the gore-met cooking and fine wines (he does the wine buying at work
too). And REALLY irritating is how much better he is at handwork than I am
(Muirdeach, you HUSH now!). Knifework especially. He can julienne without
even thinking about it. I'm slow and clumsy and every chop hurts (nerve
problems in the hands- not a 'Drakey' ;-D). And he makes exquisite
hollandaise... not that I've had any of his cooking lately :-(#) (<-
gritted teeth).

So why is it that so many professional cooks/chefs are male? Is there
something of a different approach to cooking that lends itself to men in
the pro kitchen? Or is it that women see cooking as expressions of love,
not so much as a job?

'Lainie