[Sca-cooks] meatloaf making...

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Sun Jul 7 23:45:44 PDT 2002

In a message dated 07/08/2002 2:28:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> So why is it that so many professional cooks/chefs are male? Is there
> something of a different approach to cooking that lends itself to men in
> the pro kitchen? Or is it that women see cooking as expressions of love,
> not so much as a job?

I have no clue.  My son is almost engaged to a woman who just started at the
CIA (Culinary Institute of America...but it looks REALLY COOL on the frog
keychain she got me!).  The ratio of men to women is 4 to 1, so the
percentage of female chefs isn't going to go up in the near future!  I would
think that "tradition" would play a large part.  Women cook from the
home...even my husbands grandmother started her sauce business out of her
house.  Men start a business by looking for a place.  It's a business from
the get-go.

Etain