[Sca-cooks] Recipe for Barley Cakes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 8 05:32:38 PDT 2002

Here's a couple different types or recipe.  Bear

Thin Welsh Barley Cake

Mix fine barley meal and milk together to the consistency of a batter, and
pour slowly on the bakestone out of a jug until it has formed a circle the
size of a small plate, then let it bake slowly.  It ought to be very thin
but soft, like a pancake or pikelate; it is likewise eaten with cold butter.

Lady Llanover, Good Cookery, 1867

Fatir

2 cups barley flour
2 cups hard wheat flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups water

Roast the barley flour in a skillet until light brown, remove and allow to
cool.
In a bowl, mix the barley flour, wheat flour, and salt.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add 1 1/2 cups water.
Stir from the center out.
As the dry mixture is stirred into the liquor, a stiff dough should form.
If the dough is too dry to knead add more water, a tablespoon at a time.
Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes.
Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each out until roughly 10
inches in diameter.
Heat a griddle to medium high.  Oil lightly.  Place one of the breads on the
griddle and press it down lightly with a towel to insure contact across the
surface.  Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until the underside changes color.
Turn and repeat for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove to a kitchen towel.  Wrap to keep warm.