[Sca-cooks] Most important factor?

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Mon Jul 8 10:44:26 PDT 2002

My idea of how A&S should be judged is probably heavily coloured by what
I'm used to, but in my experience judges usually look for some
combination of:

1. Research
    - is it based on primary sources?
    - did they use more than one or two sources?
    - do they understand the cultural context of the item?
2. Authenticity/accuracy
    - is it as authentic as possible based on the research?
    - if not, were compromises reasonable, and explained well?
3. Technique/skills used
    - how difficult was the thing to do?
    - did they have to learn new skills to do it?
    - how well have they mastered the skills?
4. Attractiveness of finished product
    - does it look/taste/sound/etc good?

I wouldn't say that any one of these is more important than the others,
especially.  I think all the aspects support each other and come
together to make a completed project.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/