[Sca-cooks] RE: Male vs. female cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 8 13:26:18 PDT 2002

Also sprach Den-Ter Leather:
>THE afore writtien idiocy was meant as a satire on the concept that men or
>women are better chefs.

I kinda figured it was something like that, but did anybody suggest
such a foolish thing?

>  The ability to be a good chef rests not on what you
>were born with as sexual organs but what you have in your heart and skill in
>your hands and knowledge you have aquired and practiced as well as your
>commitment to the craft.

Given. However, your commitment _in the face of_ discrimination and
back-breaking physical labor is the issue, and men, who don't usually
get very much sexual harassment from male chefs (although I have
actually seen it from female chefs toward male employees as with the
reverse situation) seem to have a generally easier time with the
lifting of the 80-quart stock-pots and such. Again, this is similar
to the situation faced by potential female firefighters: take the
next ten men you meet on the street, and the next ten women, and have
them sling somebody over their shoulder and carry them down a couple
of flights of stairs. Commitment or not, I suspect mass and genetics
will dictate that a somewhat higher number of the ten men will be
able to do it, versus the number of the ten woman that can. This
isn't a sex-based value judgement, merely a statement of fact, or at
least probability.

Actually, what seems most common in large cities is that women are
frequently relegated to the pastry department, and they're probably
pushed in that direction for some weird social reason, and whether
that's any more right than being driven to the unemployment insurance
lines I couldn't say, but it seems to be how things are.

>  BUT I figured to write this as last paragraph since
>the first would get the blood pressure about as high as it goes in many
>folks and decent stress training is hard to find outside a feast  kitchen at
>the average event:) GOTCHA!!!!
>
>YIS, Elric who knows just as many Great female chefs as male....

Hmmm. I regret to say I don't actually know _any_ great female chefs,
and precious few great male ones. I know very many wonderful cooks of
both genders, though. But then a cook and a chef aren't the same
thing.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER