[Sca-cooks] Boned quails in period???

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Jul 8 14:57:20 PDT 2002

At 10:47 AM 7/8/2002, you wrote:
>It's from _Magia Naturalis_  by Giambattista della Porta:
>A young pigeon with his bones pulleed out:
>You shall take his bones thus. Put a young pigeon, his entrails taken forth
>and well washed, for to lie a night in strong vinegar.  Then wash him well,
>and fill him with spices and herbs, and roast him or boil him, as you
>please.  Either way you shall find him without bones.

This is interesting.  I knew that at one point, not the recipe, but the
context...

Alas, in this case, that won't do at all.  To leave the meat in vinegar
this long would very nearly pickle it, or at least, the meat would absorb
enough of the vinegar as to change its taste and texture beyond the point
I'd be comfortable with.

Sooo, still looking for an actual *boned* reference, not melted bones ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on this though.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies