[Sca-cooks] Vinegar, was quails in period

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 9 20:26:57 PDT 2002

He's absolutely right.  The acetic acid you buy as white vinegar in the
grocery store is a by-product of the petrochemical industry.  It is pure
acetic acid, but it has no nutritional value.  Apple cider vinegar is much
better for you, and has more flavor (which can be undesireable).  Before
looking into stronger (photographic?!?) acids, I would try boiling down some
vinegar.  Don't know if that would make the acid content higher, but I would
think it would, by concentration, evaporation of the water.
For more info, see my article on Vinegar in the Florilegium.
Mistress Christianna

> Coal tar!   Never heard it made from that. Looked at my resources nothing
about coal tar vinegar. All the vinegar and or ways to make come from
organic origins.   Sieggy what's your source?    From chirhart

 Since white vinegar isn't 'organic' in origin (it's a by-product of coal
tar),
(snip)