[Sca-cooks] Mustard

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Jul 10 06:32:23 PDT 2002

Here is one that I have great success with:
People were putting this on EVERYthing, at the last feast, including
each other. It is *good*.

Pear mustard:
(Adapted from Sebina Welserin:
34 To make the mustard for dried cod
Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves
and put sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it
as thick as you prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard. )

I can never find pear preserves, so I use the following method:

4 medium pears, very ripe
1/4 cup good white wine
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar ( depending on taste )
6 oz mustard powder (two of the spice bottles form the supermarket)
(optional - 1/4 tsp wasabi powder)

Peel, core, and puree the pears ( canned pears will also work )
Mix puree with other ingredients. Set aside in the frige for at
least 4 hours.

Tips:
The longer you set it aside the less chemical it will taste.
Two days seems to be ideal.

Rough Grinding our own dark mustard seeds (in a clean coffe
grinder) and substituting them for a significant portion (at
least half) of the yellow powder improves body and character
noticeably.

The amount of stirring will determine the amount of heat, though
this is a pretty hot mustard to begin with.
I like chinese style hot mustard so I whip every thing in the
food processor right after I puree the pears and whip ot for a
minute...

If you really want to reduce the heat, you can use less mustard
powder.

It is really good on chicken and lamb... brings out the sweet pear
aromatics better than beef. Not sure why.

Brandu