[Sca-cooks] Ratio needed

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Jul 11 04:04:38 PDT 2002

> The bag of self-rising flour I have (purchased by mistake) says it
> contains sodium bicarbonate, so I'd have to agree with baking soda
> instead of baking powder.  I did find out the self-rising flour works
> for my buttermilk pancakes, not wanting to send someone back into town
> for all-purpose flour.

You want to check and verify that there is no dry acid in the mix -
tatartic, phosphate or SAS (sodium aluminum sulfate). If any of these are
present in combination with sodium bicarbonate, then you have baking powder.
If it's NaHCO3 alone, then it's baking soda.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag:
Due to the convergence of forces beyond his comprehension, Salvatore
Quanucci was suddenly squirted out of the universe like a watermelon
seed, and never heard from again.