[Sca-cooks] Rysshews of Fruyt redaction

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 05:14:35 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/12/2002 1:18:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doc at bookofrefreshments.com writes:

> Thought I'd revisit this thread.  I was looking at the versions of this
> recipe in TFCCB and found two or three variants, but interestingly
> enough, all of them call for some kind of breading or crust before
> frying.  It may be that period cooks had the same problem with the
> fritters not holding together well.

Actually, I think the recipe I used may be the only Rysshewys recipe which
DOESN'T call for a crust.  I suppose it's possible that "everybody knows
these things need a crust" so they didn't write it in, but then why is it
expressly stated in every other recipe for the things????  It's interesting
that a recipe from 1390 doesn't mention a crust, but recipes for very similar
things from only 40 -80 years later do.
I did think that maybe pureeing the apple and pear separately and allowing
the juice to drain out for a while might help to make them stick together
better.  Maybe I'll play with that option another time.

Brangwayna Morgan