[Sca-cooks] Re: tomato evidence

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jul 14 06:45:28 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/13/2002 4:46:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
helewyse at yahoo.com writes:

> .  Why
> do tomatoes have to be included in the meal when there
> are many good Italian recipes out there without them.
> If they want a period feast go with the known recipes.
> If not then just make up whatever you want, just tell
> people that there is no evidence that it was eaten.

There do not HAVE to be tomatos, the head cook would like to use tomatos if
she can find reference for them, hence this question to the list.
Frankly, I am thrilled that she is making any effort on her own to use period
recipes or sources at all.  Her last feast, for a Middle Eastern event,
(while excellent from the cooking standpoint) was entirely composed of modern
Middle Eastern recipes (or so-called ME recipes) harvested from the Internet
and at least one recipe that I believe is her own creation.  The two before
that used period recipes only because her co-head cook did the research and
handed her fully redacted recipes.  There have recently been several
well-researched and presented feasts here in our local area and I believe
that she has been inspired to  try to do more research by them.  The last
thing I am going to do is turn her off using period stuff by giving her a
blanket "You can't do that!"  Instead, I am looking for ways to guide her to
he information that she needs to do this as authentically as possible.

Brangwayna Morgan