[Sca-cooks] Re: Pear Mustard?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jul 14 08:43:09 PDT 2002

It'd probably depend on what additional things are added to the spread
and the butter.  I've wanted to experiment with the Welserin recipe
myself, and figured I'd be looking for other fruit conserve recipes from
the same time period (whether German or not), and then using them as a
general guide.
On a mundane-informed level, I can see it being interesting either as a
smooth spread (with the pear conserve being more jam-like), or as
something chunkier--the pears being more like a chunky jam.  Depending
on the various meanings of the original german word, and the various
possible meanings of "conserve," you might also end up with some less
jam-ish, and more like a lightly-cooked fruit relish, or even something
like a chutney (using different fruits and spices, of course).  Mustard
could be whole seeds, or ground into mustard flour.
Gotta love the ambiguity in so many period recipes! <g>
--Maire