[Sca-cooks] chowder

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 15:32:28 PDT 2002

--- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> --
> If there is a she-crab, is there also a he-crab and
> what is the taste
> difference? I mean, why would the menu bother
> pointing out that it is
> she-crab? And how can you tell a boy crab from a
> girl crab?
> Inquiring minds want to know......
> Phillipa

I suspect that it originated with the diners wanting
the roe, the eggs, of the crab in their soup.
Obviously, gentlemen crabs do not bear eggs.

To tell the difference for the Blue Crabs, if you look
on their underside, the ladies have a wide shell
overlay, kinda shaped like a filled in D, whereas the
gentlemen crabs have a long, narrow shell overlay- in
fact, rather penis shaped. It would be a lot easier to
show you than describe.

And there is a severe difference in some areas- some
areas will only allow you to harvest one gender or the
other at certain times of the year, depending on life
cycles and such.

Phlip, not going to jail over a case of crabs....

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,