[Sca-cooks] medieval Japanese [food] for the total novice..

Joe Fling yoseff at telocity.com
Mon Jul 15 16:23:17 PDT 2002

Since Devra is busy getting ready for Pennsic (so am I, but probably not as
busy as her...), I took the liberty of copying this from the website.  I
have a serious *WANT* for this book, and will whine often while at
Pennsic...

The History and Culture of Japanese Food - $110.00
Naomichi Ishige. Part One is a history of Japanese food, from the
Paleolithic, when a hunter-gatherer culture prevailed, to the present day.
The place of rice and saki in the culture is discussed. The book also covers
the early prohibitions against eating meat, and the influence of Chinese,
Korean, and Indian cuisine on Japanese food preparation and tastes. Part Two
deals with the structure of Japanese meals, the utensils used, and the
specialized restaurants that may be found. A chapter is devoted to the
Japanese menu, and discusses the occurrence of soup, sashimi, sushi, and
stews such as sukiyaki. No recipes. HC, 273pp, including a bibliography, b&w
illustrations.
Kegan Paul Ltd

What day is the Potluck?

Thanks!

John M.

Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy Blue-Green meat is bad for you....