[Sca-cooks] Book info?

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Jul 15 18:29:40 PDT 2002

I definitely recommend looking at the book before buying!  It's for scholars
(maybe) not cooks per se although this list is a good example of the fact
that those are _not_ mutually exclusive at all!

I have the book here next to me.  The essays are Greco Roman World - Melitta
Weiss Adamson, Medieval Britain - Constance B. Hieatt, Medieval France -
North - Terence Scully, Medieval France - South Carole Lambert, Medieval and
Renaissance Italy - The peninsula - Simon Varey, Medieval and Renaissance
Italy - Sicily (a real waste in my opinion) - Habeeb Salloum, Medieval Spain
Rafael Chabran, Medieval Germany - Melitta Adamson, The Low Countries in the
Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries - Johanna Maria van Winter.   If you are
looking for an in-depth examination of any of the cuisines listed you are in
for a big disappointment.  Some of them are high quality essays by people
who know history like Scully, others are writers for airline rags like
Habeeb Salloum (Medieval Sicily).

There may be one or two recipes, but if that is what you would like, you are
wasting your money to buy the book.  Get a library to buy it and then Xerox
what you need, like the bibliography, which is the best thing about the
book.

I think the tremendous cost is because this was a group of scholarly types
and the publisher didn't expect to sell more than 200 copies.  So they put
out a poorly bound book at an astronomical price.

One nice thing, Constance Hieatt in the Medieval Britain footnotes gives a
nice blurb to our own Cariadoc Miscellany and mentions the SCA!

Regina Romsey

So you can check it out at Devra's. It's reported to be very good. I
have a copy on a slow order that I won't see until mid-August. Here's
the description from the Routledge site:

"304 pages (Dimensions 234x156 mm)
Regional Cuisine in Medieval Europe explores the regional and
interregional influences on food production and consumption during the
Middle Ages. Expert food historians provide detailed histories of the
creation and development of particular delicacies in six regions of
medieval Europe-Britain, France, Italy, Sicily, Spain, and the Low
Countries.
Contents: Introduction 1. The Classical World 2. Medieval Britain 3.
Medieval France A. Northern France B. Southern France 4. A. Medieval
Italy B. Medieval Sicily 5.             Medieval Spain 6. Medieval
Germany The Low Countries in the Fifteenth and   Sixteenth Centuries
Bibliography
Series Information:  Garland Medieval Casebooks

At 85.00 this means that those casebooks have tripled in price
within a decade.

Hope this helps--

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis