[Sca-cooks] linguine puttanesca

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Jul 16 04:24:28 PDT 2002

> Adamantius commented:
> > What I find truly unfortunate are the number of people whose only
> > exposure to a chowder with tomatoes has been in cans, who are
> > prepared to condemn the entire species on that basis, which is more
> > or less like condemning a perfect linguine puttanesca, untasted,
> > after trying Spaghetti-O's.
>
> Hey, I *like* Spaghetti-O's and most other canned pastas. Wish I
> could get the one I remember from 20? 30? years ago which was long
> tubes of pasta in a pale yellow cheese sauce.
> Anyway, what is "linguine puttanesca"?
> Or is this an SCA joke? "puttaneSCA"? :-)

Not hardly. Puttanesca is a classic Neapolitan pasta sauce made with
tomatoes, capers, anchovies, olives, and a little bit of hot pepper flake.
The name means "in the style of the whore" - the idea being that the ladies
of the night would throw this together quickly when they got hungry between
customers.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: If life isn't what you wanted, have you asked for anything else?