[Sca-cooks] chowder - OOP

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 16 08:53:06 PDT 2002

On 16 Jul 2002, at 9:25, Erika Thomenius wrote:

> In addition, there is a reference in _Moby Dick_ (1851):
>
> But when that smoking chowder came in, the mystery was delightfully
> explained.  Oh, sweet friends! hearken to me.  It was made of small
> juicy clams, scarcely bigger than hazel nuts, mixed with pounded ship
> biscuit, and salted pork cut up into little flakes; the whole enriched
> with butter, and plentifully seasoned with pepper and salt.
>

> Now, there's no cream, no potatoes, and the addition of salt pork
> (which this particular Chowder Purist is willing to accept as canon),
> but there are also no tomatoes.

I am a Universalist as far as chowder is concerned, so I have no
axe to grind.  I don't think that a description of shipboard chowder
will tell us a lot about its preparation on land.  Sailors on a long
whaling voyage would not have easy access to either milk or
tomatoes.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net