[Sca-cooks] Feast Procedural Question

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca
Tue Jul 16 12:55:10 PDT 2002

>Hi, gang, I have an odd question for you who've also done a lot of
>feasts (or even one) in the SCA.  I've been doing them for 26 years, and
>for the first time, I've been asked to prepare three menus at different
>price points (costs of $8, $10, and $12 a person for food and prep
>costs), for the "Committee" to then tell me how much I have to spend.
> Every other time I've done a feast, they've told me what my budget was,
>and I went from there.
>
>In addition, my Baron wants veto power over the menu.  The last several
>times we've done feasts, we've hardly even told them in advance what
>they're getting, and they've always been happy.  We always have
> alternate dishes prepared for those with allergies and those who's
>dietary restrictions are unusual (Vegetarians, low sodium, etc.  Has
>anyone else been seeing this sort of response?
>
>Jared Blaydeaux
>Altavia, Caid

Is this a situation were they will choose only 1 of the 3 menus, or will
all three of them be served to different categories of on-board people?
(say, below the salt, above the salt, and way up there above the salt?)

What kind of event is it? Is it a new one, where they are not sure how many
people will attend (hence the possibility to revert to a lower-cost menu)?
The Baronnial Veto is strange, but then again, if its not an ordinary
event, there might be reasons to it.

Generally around here we're happy to let the cooks figure out what they
wanna do themselves (an unhappy cook can be a dangerous thing to have
around :-))). In that case I would plan a feast for 8$, the 10$ and 12$
versions being enhanced versions of the same feast.

Then again I have much more experience as an autocrat than as cook, but
I've never been in the situation you mentionned above.

Petru "cel Paros" Voda
Dragon Dormant, East Kingdom