[Sca-cooks] Herbals

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 17 00:19:17 PDT 2002

Akim replied:

>>Akim, which of the histories of herbals are you familiar with? Would
>>anyone be interested in some titles to follow up on this?
>
> Let's see... I have the full sized Gerard and Besler, Sweerts, Tacuinum
> Sanitatis,
> and a bunch of other later ones including the dreaded Culpepper.
> I have read the Leech Book of Bald, Turner's Herbal, and am familiar
> with classical works of Galan, the herbals of Lyte and Fuchs.  I also have
> many histories of plants and gardening.  My library on plants is very
> extensive as I am a landscape architect.

Ah, but how many of those landscape plants are edible? :-)

Folks, you might be interested in this "short" article from Baron

Akim on fruits:
Period-Fruit-art  (60K)  1/13/02    "Fruit of Period Times" by Baron
                                        Akim Yaroslavich.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/Period-Fruit-art.html
Or this one:

Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager in the
                                       Current Middle Ages" by Akim Yaroslavich.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Pattrn-Gardns-art.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net