[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 16:43:37 PDT 2002

--- Gunthar skrev:

> Interesting observation. But then I've never seen
> Northerners using cornbread.

You been South too long ;-)

> >he'd
> >put bacon grease in a pan and fry it up- pretty
> good,
> >actually, with some greens on the side.
>
> I've seen that done sometimes. When I try it the
> stuff
> splatters everywhere.

Think, corn pancakes, using cornbread batter. Do your
pancakes spatter? Same technique, different batter.

My mother made some pretty
> good
> "fried cornmeal mush" upon occasion. But the way I
> was
> raised to make it is that you grease up the pan
> really
> well. Then heat the pan in the oven and then pour in
> the mix. So the bread both baked and fried. I hate
> mushy cornbread. (I have to admit that I was
> delighted
> to see Alton Brown do the same thing on his show
> featuring
> cornbread).

Fried cornmeal mush, in my experience, is a different
thing. It's basicly cornmeal soaked and/or boiled
until soft, then fried- no extra stuff. Fried
cornbread is actually a cornbread batter, fried as for
pancakes.

> >Myself, it's not the sugar per se in Yankee
> cornbread
> >that I dislike, although I'm not known for my sweet
> >tooth.
>
> I love sugar in my pone. But it really depends on
> what
> the cornbread is used for. I like it unsweetened in
> my
> beans or chili or stews. I like it sweet when it's a
> side dish. And cornbread with sugar and milk eaten
> as a
> midnight snack or for breakfast the next day is
> another
> joy.
>
> >It's the position it holds in a meal, that
> >makes something truly Southern or not, to me.
>
> Nice thoughts, and I agree with most of it. But I
> was
> raised to like it either way, depending on it's use.
> Of
> course there were always snooty purists who would
> say it
> had to have it and those who swore the other way.
> The rest
> of us would just eat it as we liked it.

Well, corn fixin's of various sorts were a large part
of the Southern diet. People being people, they're
foing to vary that diet as much as they can, in
presentation, etc. Snooty purists generally tend to be
folks with half a clue who become self-proclaimed
experts- in SCA, we call them "Period Police".

> Speaking of snooty purists, I found a canned chili
> last
> night that didn't really suck. It even had (shudder)
> beans.
> Wolfgang Puck's chili soup is pretty good with a
> nice dollop
> of Medium Pace salsa. I had a craving and didn't
> want to
> take the time to make real chili. Eaten with a nice
> ribeye
> steak it made for a very happy Gunthar. (And them's
> th' best
> kind!)

S'OK. Adamantius admitted to me the other day, that he
went to a McDonalds, as his "Restaurant of Choice".
You know I've been cackling ever since ;-)

Care to explain, A?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,