[Sca-cooks] NOTE REGARDING POTRERO WAR : NO FIRES

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 19 11:47:42 PDT 2002

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> Have you passed along the lamp information from SPCA
> List? That might help, for light.
>
>   Besides, cold
> > poptarts make a bleak diet for energetic fighters.
>
> Make it cold pizza and stale beer, and they'll think
> they're in college ;-)
>
> More seriously, has anyone done anything with solar
> stoves? If they're good enough, and easy enough, for
> Third Worlders to use in low fuel areas, certainly
> SCAdians can cope. Not sure exactly where Potrero is,
> but it should be far enough south to get good
> sunlight.

Plenty of sun.  Potrero is east of San Diego, some warbands send their
party supply runners to Calexico which is close.  There are tales that
this is prime illegal entry country from the Mexican border, but we have
very seldom seen any immigrants on their way into the US.  My suspicion
is that the border-runners know our usual schedule and avoid the area.
Crazy anglos with weapons are not the sort of crowd they want to tangle
with!

Meanwhile, I've been meaning to try out solar cookery, non-period though
it be.  Not as modern as you may think;  I've seen a citation for a
parabolic solar stove for the King of France in 1860.
[http://www.newenergy.org.cn/english/solar/casestudy/stove/]  We may run
out of propane, but we rarely run out of sun.  Such emergency equipment
is a good idea here in quake country anyway.

Solar-cell lighting for evenings does not seem to run bright enough for
our purposes;  will get some for our yard and try it out at home.

Selene, Caid