[Sca-cooks] Re: Alcoholic Choices

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 13:03:31 PDT 2002

--- Vincent Cuenca <bootkiller at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Vicente, have you considered discussing the matter
> with him? I certainly appreciate your intended
> sensitivity to the gentleman's needs, but if he's
> going to be set off, nothing you will serve him
> should
> be responsible. He is responsible for his own
> sobriety, and should be treated as an adult in that
> respect.
>
> Dear Philippa:
>
> Thanks for your concern.  It is precisely because I
> have talked with him
> that I was looking for another sauce.  Flavors often
> trigger cravings for
> him, and so he would prefer to have something that
> does not taste of wine.
> I was kind of following Ras's lead in this: rather
> than leave out an
> ingredient you don't have, find a different recipe
> that doesn't call for it.

OK, that makes good sense.

> The bit about wrestling him for the tequila was just
> hyperbole. He is very
> responsible about his sobriety.

Ummm, please be a little careful about such hyperbole-
there are times when it isn't far from the truth. I
actually had to physically remove a sugared soft drink
from the hands of a diabetic friend whom I had just
collected from the hospital because of a nasty
sugar-involved medical incident, and I have known
reluctantly recovering alcoholics for which the same
might easily be true. It can happen, and it can be
triggered by over-protection.

The 12-step recovery program is all about learning to
be responsible again, and all who use it are in
different stages of recovery, just as they arrived in
different stages of addiction. An image might be of a
child who has learned to share with hir siblings, but
wouldn't share, on a bet, with hir classmates- or vice
versa ;-) In alcoholic 12-step, a person might be
perfectly OK with alcohol being served under their
nose, but could easily use "I'll show them" as an
excuse to start in again because others have been
sneakily over protective ;-O

> However, it would
> be rude of me to make him
> uncomfortable in my house. He is not comfortable
> with the taste of port in
> his food, or seeing an open bottle of wine on the
> table. So there will be
> large pitchers of watermelon punch and water clary,
> and I'll be using
> pomegranate molasses in the Cumberland sauce (Thanks
> Muirdach!).

Certainly. That makes perfect sense. Recipe please?

> I'm kind of kicking myself now: I found a Turkish
> coffee set at a garage
> sale for $8, and didn't pick it up.  It would have
> been perfect for this
> party.  We have the makings for espresso, though, so
> we should be okay.
>

> Boy this is gonna be fun…

Well, do njoy yourselves- sounds like the sort of
party I might enjoy as well ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,