[Sca-cooks] Iris vs flag vs Orris

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 19 18:18:04 PDT 2002

Flag describes a plant that has long sword shaped leaves such as irises,
cattails, etc.  It derives from the Middle English "flagge" meaning "reed."
While I haven't seen a statement that they grow from rhizomes, all those of
checked do.  In irises, the term is most commonly used with wild varieties.

Outside of the irises, the flags often (if not always) appear to be march
plants.

Several different species of European iris are used to produce orris root.
Iris germanica was commonly used for this.  Looking at Serena's information,
I suspect that the type of iris used may be a matter of geography.

You are right.  All orris is iris, but not all iris is orris.

Bear