[Sca-cooks] Verjuice

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jul 21 06:52:19 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/21/2002 2:09:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wandap at hevanet.com writes:

> When do you thin grapes, at what size?
>
> Second question:  Do you let the juice ferment or use it straight.

The one time I made verjuice, my husband had cleaned a friend's Concord grape
vines to make wine, and I claimed all the ones that weren't ripe all the way.
 In my case, I just crushed them and left them in a non-metallic bowl on the
counter, covered with plastic wrap, for three or four days, and then put them
into a Mason jar and in the fridge.  It kept for the week or so that I needed
it. It definitely had fermented somewhat - it was like a very fruity,
flavorful vinegar.  I haven't had access to unripe grapes to do it again.  I
imagine of you could get it to at least the 5% acidity of store-bought
vinegar, it should keep fine.

Brangwayna