[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 22 19:14:13 PDT 2002

On 21 Jul 2002, at 9:28, Terry Decker wrote:

> A one pound loaf serves  4 people (1/4 lb apiece).  During most of the
> feasts I have done, I have produced two different types of bread and
> served the feaster 1/4 lb of each.  Cost ranges from about $ .40 and $
> 1 per loaf, depending on the ingredients.

I have considered baking my own, perhaps preparing frozen loaves
of dough to thaw, rise, and be baked at the event.  It would be a
cost-saver, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to take on that much
additional work.  I don't have your level of experience.

> When I'm catering, I use the local French bakery, order the rolls a
> couple of weeks in advance and get the quantity discount.  It's $27
> for 14 dozen or between $3.20 and $3.25 for 20.

A local Italian bakery sells 2-pound round loaves for $2.  Costo has
some Portuguese loaves that look promising, but they're sliced.  I
have to find out if they're sliced on the premises, or if they come
that way from the outside bakery that supplies them.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net