[Sca-cooks] linguine puttanesca

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 23 02:27:55 PDT 2002

Also sprach Druighad at aol.com:
>--
>In a message dated 7/16/02 6:27:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
>goldberg at bestweb.net writes:
>

>>  Not hardly. Puttanesca is a classic Neapolitan pasta sauce made with
>>  tomatoes, capers, anchovies, olives, and a little bit of hot pepper flake.
>>  The name means "in the style of the whore" - the idea being that the ladies
>>  of the night would throw this together quickly when they got hungry between
>>  customers.
>>
>>  Avraham
>>

>Nah... They used to compete for customers by whose sauce smelled the best.
>Or so I was taught in my regional Italian class.

Why am I reminded of the claim of one of my mom's high school
teachers (a nun), back in the 1930's, that Dowson's ode to Cynara ("I
have been faithful to thee, Cynara! in my fashion.") was doubtless to
an old nurse of the poet's?

I have a hard time with that one. I don't recall Times Square, back
in the bad old days, being especially redolent of aromatic sauces...
;-)

Adamantius, experiencing internet troubles, moisture in the phone
lines, and the general decline of Western civilization

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER