[Sca-cooks] Schmaltz

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 23 09:12:50 PDT 2002

I've seen it sold in a plastic tub. So, OK, I live in walking distance
of Yeshiva University... but this wasn't in the Glatt Kosher butcher's,
this was in a supermarket someplace. I wasn't really paying much
attention, I don't use it.

 From what I understand, though, it is used more the way I would use
bacon fat than like lard. Not solid enough for things like pie crust or
cookies, the way lard is. Hydrogenated vegetable shortening made a big
hit in the Kosher community...  made it possible to have all kinds of
pastries with meat dinners! In my bakery, all the cakes are dairy, but
all the pastries are parve.

Anne