[Sca-cooks] snails

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 23 10:19:46 PDT 2002

Greetings,

The reference was from a book that a friend brought back from England, I
believe that it was all period. I will see if I can get ahold of the book
again. Unfortunately the canned snails would not work. To paraphrase the
recepit:

Cut the fibers that are holding the snails in the shell & remove the snails.
Take milk and a small amount of salt and place the snails in the milk. Allow
the snails to eat the milk, cleaning out the excrament every few hours.
Change the milk on the second day and keep the snails fed. When the snails
are too large to fit back into the shells, sautee them in good butter and
garlic.

I remember it partucarly because I swore to myself that I would never
prepare a dish that had the word excrament in it.

I will see what I can do about getting you the original.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva