[Sca-cooks] cheese aged in manure?

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jul 23 21:30:29 PDT 2002

The only reference I've found to such a thing is questionable.

 From http://www.plastmo.com/gammalo1.html

	Here are some ideas I got about gammelost cheese. I have no idea
	where I got them -- probably from some guy who sold me some. The
cheese is
	cured by hanging them over cow manure in a barn. The Vikings used
to carry them
	in the bilge of their longships on long journeys because the
cheeses kept so
	well... or, looked at another way, leaving them in the bilge for a
while didn't
	make them any worse. I hope these things are true, but they are so
cool I don't
	really care -- when the legend is better than the truth, print the
legend.