[Sca-cooks] working conditions, was period pizza

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 24 10:25:46 PDT 2002

You sound like me. I freelance, and my work frequently requires me to go
to someone else's place of business to do my work. Sometimes, I  need to
change something they are doing... rearrange a display, convince them to
change a procedure...  I always need at least some assistance. I think
my job is infinitely easier if they like to see me coming! Now, I'm
pretty friendly anyway, but I make a point of it on jobs. If I have to
change something I make sure I both find what they are doing right and
explain the exact obscure reason why my way (my client's actually) is
better in this case, why this is not a criticism.

I know someone who does one of the same jobs, for the competition, with
the same customers.  She goes in, complains about everything, makes them
feel that she thinks she is better than anyone else, and is generally
obnoxious. She makes my job so much easier, because they fall over
themselves to help me, because I am nice! Now, I do think I'm a nice
person anyway, if I do say so myself, but even if I weren't, it's good
business. (BTW, I'm nice to her, too, when I see her,  with the ulterior
motive that it does make life easier... but the people around us don't
seem to have any trouble with that.)

Anne