[Sca-cooks] Latin lesson, OT OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jul 25 21:26:28 PDT 2002

At 03:41 AM 7/26/02 +0000, you wrote:
>OK all you knowers of latin, well I suppose it's latin, it could be Greek
>for all *I* know, which is why I'm asking for help.  What does this mean?
>Luctor et Emergo  For some reason my dad thinks it means "rise up from the
>stuggle"  Actually, I would be fairly impressed if he were correct, but I
>doubt he is.  If he isn't, it would suit me fine if I could correct him.

Well, kinda sorta but shockingly bad grammar.

luctor- a deponent verb (a kind of passive verb with active meaning)
meaning to struggle

et- a conjunction meaning and

emergo- an irregular verb meaning to come out, escape

So-
 Quite literally he is saying 'to struggle and to escape'

If what he wants is 'to rise from the struggle' we need some changes.

First, 'struggle', used as a noun (you can't rise from a verb) is
'certamen'. Now, 'from' is a nifty little preposition that requires an
abliative case in the noun. We probably want 'ab' here for 'from', and that
changes certamen to... oh poop. I don't know which declension it is. Certu?
maybe.

Emergo is first person 'I rise/escape'. Depending on the tense, it will be

emergo- I rise
emergebam- I rose
emergam- I will rise

and many, many more! Quick! Only $9.99! That's $9.99 and we'll throw in a
set of Ginsu knives!

(pant pant. Sorry- soemthing just got away from me tehre...)

My guess- 'Certu ab emergo'

YMMV.

'Lainie