[Sca-cooks] Latin lesson, OT OOP

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Fri Jul 26 10:19:43 PDT 2002

Luctor et Emergo

I make this as "I strive and I emerge" with emerge carrying the
intent of distinuishing oneself, coming out of a cocoon,
breaking free of whatever hid or held you back.

Here is how I get that:
I find Luctor as "I strive" in several tests, including

P. Ovidius Naso - Amores, Epistulae, Medicamina faciei
femineae, Ars amatoria, Remedia amoris Ep., poem 17, line 161
poem 16, line 237

In P. Ovidius Naso, Metamorphoses book 15, line 514 this reads
as  Ego (I) <to reach for the reins covered with white foam>
Luctor (struggle)

But in the other references the "ego" is definitely implied but
not there.

Lewis and Short's A Latin Dictionary have Emergo, emersi,
emersum as representing two voices, active and neutral.
As this is contextually acive, I'd hazard that active voice is
being used.
Now the active voice has several definitions, but to raise up
is rare, and reqiures emersi.
Reference this entry:

I. Act., to bring forth, bring to light, raise up (very rare;
mostly with se, or pass. in mid. sense), to come forth, come
out, to rise up, emerge (not in Plaut., Caes., Verg., or Hor.).

Specifically note this usage

	B. To extricate or free one's self, to raise one's
	self up, to rise: sese ex malis, Ter. And. 3, 3, 30
	Ruhnk.; so Nep. Att. 11, 1: homo emersus subito ex
	diuturnis tenebris lustrorum ac stuprorum, Cic. Sest. 9 ;
	cf.: tu emersus e caeno, id. Vatin. 7, 17 : velut emerso
	ab admiratione animo, Liv. 8, 7 fin. --Once perh. act.: ut
	possim rerum tantas emergere moles, Manil. 1, 116 .--Far
	more freq. and class.,

Elias