[Sca-cooks] lima beans

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 08:54:01 PDT 2002

vongraph wrote:

> > > Mundanely and in persona.  Why do you equate my
> > > love of lima beans with insanity?
> >
> > Their Taste. Texture. Color.
>
> Not to mention the fact that people who eat lima beans have a tendency to
> force their children to eat them as well and the child grows up with deep
> psychological damage in the area of what foods to consider genteel and
> worthy of being served to large quanities of people.  Also the is the deep
> rooted beleif that if you serve them they will come! They will come and get
> you for putting such horible things on the menu:)
>
> Elric

You may be onto something there.  I was force-fed bad lima beans as a child, so
now I have an aversion to them.  Possibly what I need is a GOOD dish of lima
beans.  Huette will have to make them, she has made many "horrible" things turn
out all right.  However, I reserve the right to my own tastes and the
preference of marzipan over any bean dish.  ^_^

People say "horrible" things about turnips too, but I once served turnips to a
whole coronation feast crowd and didn't get any back.  I had them peeled
thoroughly and cooked them in "fat broth" [in this case, vegetarian] and the
crown yummed them up.  Possibly many of them thought they might have been
potatoes.  Peeling "deep" gets past that outer bitter layer that is what a lot
of people really don't like about turnips.  Yes kids, a "period" treatment
actually tasted better than the modern one to this modern crowd!

Selene C.