[Sca-cooks] weird Indian Hindustani stuff

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 09:32:13 PDT 2002

Makhana are lotus seeds.  They puff up when roasted.  These goodies are either
sugared lotus seeds or else sugar candy made up to look like the puffed-up lotus
seeds.  Like in Europe, sugared seeds are served after meal to aid digestion.

For more quickie definitions of Indian food, see:
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/glossary.shtml

I can also highly recommmend a book called THE INDIAN GROCERY DEMYSTIFIED BY by
Linda Bladholm & Neela Paniz [Renaissance Books, 2000; ISBN: 1580631436] I
believe Bladholm has also done books to demystify Latin American and Asian
groceries as well.

Selene C.