[Sca-cooks] Re: Feast Ambience

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:50:31 PDT 2002

>Here in Bright Hills, we employ the services of a Master of the Hall.  Lord
>Barre FitzRobert of York, who scurries in just before feast, scuttles OUT
>of
>his Archer Marshall get up and into his spiffest attire (and BOY! Can Barre
>spiff up - hubba, hubba!).
>
>He announces each dish as the courses are being served by his crew of
>TRAINED servers (for Atlantian Crown we are all serving in Baronial
>colours - oh the howwow! I have to make new garb....).  In the past he has
>(I believe) arranged for harpists to play throughout dinner, and I'm not
>sure what else, as generally I am in the kitchen,  he and the autocrat
>confer on table arrangement and lighting, he coordinates with whomever is
>setting up the decorations for the hall, AND he makes sure his servers are
>fed before feast!
>
>And he does it all with a smile, a few jokes, and in wonderful humour.
>
>Worth his weight in gold, is our Barre....
>
>Ro

HEREHERE~!!  Barre also confers with the head cook as to how many dishes are
in each course and the contents therein, and has been known to patiently
wait his servers while finishing garnishe is placed.  He has been also been
part of setting up the scene for one of our guild's "special presentations"
to high table.

Truely, a good Master of the Hall is worth his weight in gold.  Barre is all
that and more.  And, yes I agree, he does clean up right nicely!  Of course,
with Lady Cordelia sewing his garb, what else could one expect?
Olwen