[Sca-cooks] Feast Ambience - incense

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 11:17:32 PDT 2002

><quote Giles>
> > I'm planning to have a "lei girl" to greet guests with a waft of incense
>when they arrive, in the traditional manner.
>
>Greetings,
>
>Your feast sounds like it will be lovely, and I commend you for taking the
>time to make all of the extra effort - truly. And I hate to get stuck on
>one
>item, but I have a thought that you might want to noodle about.
>
>If I were to walk into a feast and a lovely and well meaning lady were to
>waft incense into my face I would have to leave the hall and spend the rest
>of the evening with my head soaking in a sink. We try to be sensitive to
>food allergies, please remember that there are other allergies also.
>
>Just so I am not simply being a party pooper, I do have a suggestion.
>Possibly you could have two enterances - one with incense and one without.
>Even with this, depending on the size of the hall and the amount of
>incense,
>there is a possibility that I would have to leave the hall anyway. I am not
>in anyway saying that you should not do the incense because there might be
>one person with my problem, please just think about how you might warn
>people that there will be intense and unfamiliar smells. You also might
>want
>to consider the type of incense you use. Patchouli is particuarly oily and
>agressive where other scents might be more mild.
>
>Again, I am sorry to bring this up. I am one of the first people to pop up
>with the "It is the responsibility of the person with the allergy to call
>the chef" comment when people bring up allergies, but when you do something
>different like this people cannot anticipate & behave accordingly.
>
>Glad Tidings,
>Serena da Riva
>Who avoids using the front entrance to major department stores for abject
>fear of the PERFUME LADIES.

I'm with you!  Fortunately, in my Barony, everyone in our cooks guild, and
the Master of the Hall, would never consider doing something like that.  I
guess they are all afraid they would kill me.
Asthma kills.  Quickly.
Maybe, if you did such a thing outside, before folks came through the main
door into the hall would be a better choice.  I agree with Serena about
having another door available for folks who prefer to avoid the incense.
Olwen, known to have an attack over spice smells