[Sca-cooks] Period statistics?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Jun 1 16:44:51 PDT 2002

At 04:53 PM 5/30/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Padraig o Connell commented:
>I do get people who wonder what my "agenda" on this project is, it's
because I
>was curious.   (and it has led into an A&S project, both for the data, and
>as a study of statistics as a period science.)
>-----------
>
>Really? I always thought statistics were post period. It would seem
>like statistics would run counter to the ideas that God would sort
>things out correctly as in the duel or judicial tournament.

STEFAN!!!!

There's this nifty piece of documentary evidence that is little more than a
massive statistics project for the purposes of maximizing tax revenues. We
laymen call it The Domesday Book. The clerks working for any king, or heck-
teh clerks working for the Hansa knew everything there was to know about
pre-calc statistics. Or how bout Albertus Magnus and his detailed records
of natural sciences? His understanding of those statistics helped influence
the fields of botany and geology.

And how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? ;-)

'Lainie