[Sca-cooks] Byzantine Cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 3 23:55:20 PDT 2002

Johnna Holloway commented:
> Another forthcoming title from Prospect is:
> Sally Grainger & Chris Grocock, APICIUS, ISBN 1-903018-13-7.
> "This is a big book; the price will be at least =A335.00,
>  cloth bound. I think the authors/editors have
> quite a lot of work and quite a lot of other commitments,
>  so we must be patient about the arrival
>  of the text. I may need to be quite rich, too,
>  to publish it. Probably 2003/4 is realistic."

Hmmm. Okay. However, was Apicius in the Byzantine Empire or in the
western half of the Roman Empire? I can't remember if this was
discussed here previously. Perhaps I just assume that with the
comments about "Roman" cooking, despite the claims of those in
Byzantine of being "Romans", that he was from the western half of
things.

Adamantius, any comments?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net