[Sca-cooks] pork skins

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Jun 11 07:31:01 PDT 2002

Have you ever compared them to potato chips?

The commercial product [not the real kind that I long for after moving up
north from Atlantia]
Going with 1 oz of plain [I hate barbeque...blecch!]
154.507 calories, 17.379 gr protein, 8.874 gr fat, 0.0 gr carb, and 0.0 gr
fiber, with 521.073 mg sodium

potato chips, plain, salted, 1 oz -
151.956 calories, 1.985 gr protein, 9.809 gr fat, 14.997 gr carb, 1.276 gr
fiber, and 168.399 gr sodium.

So, it is like comparing Yoghurt and Ice Cream....

As a whole, same sh*t, same day...

But speaking as a low carber, I will go for the lack of carbs and better
protein content, and just not salt my veggies to compensate for the salt
content...

margali
[although, for a stone cold salt addict, I happen to have both a good range
of blood pressure, and decent cholesterol levels...so much for not heeding
the advice to avoid eggs, butter, heavy cream... and low carbing I did
manage to loose 100 lbs in 3 years without changing my lack of physical
activity ;-)]

the quote starts here:
Then again, I larffed my bew-tox off when Dr. Atkins announced his
amazing new snack for low-carb dieters: the chicharrone. See, you
take pork belly, rind-on, or in extreme cases, rind-on fatback, and
after acquainting it with some lime juice, garlic and such, you score
it with a knife and deep-fry it until crunchy.