[Sca-cooks] average person on medieval diet

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Jun 12 10:41:14 PDT 2002

?! Haven't you ever heard of a grist mill? There are a number of
manufacturers out there that produce quite nice hand crank and electric
motor ones. Great Ghu, I was not suggesting they resort to metate and petate
to grind grain...They can use modern appliances, just avoid processed,
hormonized, chemically treated foods [you know, like dyed tomatoes and such.
A little carnuba wax on apples can be scrubbed off. Although many farmers
markets specialize in organically raised foods - green manure vice chemical
fertilizer, no preservatives or artificial colorants/ripeners added and the
like.]

Bedamned, comprendez-vous weekend 'bulk-cooking' for making food prep
easier? Back when I had a life and a body that wasn't so damaged, and the
desire to I would make and freeze stocks [white and brown] compound butters,
basic sauce components, pre-sweated mirepoix, cut up meats [diced,
julienned, chunks, fat trimmed cutlets...] so all I had to do was come home
and cook. Living in a small apartment, I didn't have much space, but most
vegetables will keep fairly well without refrigeration and the grocery store
in the area that belonged to my food co-op was next to the buildig I worked
in so I would veggie-shop avery 3 or 4 days.

You can grow your own salad greens and herbs in window boxes if you have a
few windows with any sunlight exposure at all. Radishes take 14-21 days to
get to the edible stage, many lettuces are 35-45 days. Many herbs are happy
in the corner of a window and live for years [as long as I dont go near
them. I have a black thumb ;-(]
margali

the quote starts ehre: