[Sca-cooks] SPCA campsite

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Jun 20 06:58:35 PDT 2002

[snippage of most of post]

>The SPCA site is a gorgeous camp site.  But, it is a
>camp site.  In the best of all possible worlds, in the best
>condition, it is not a place for a 40 person party.  Without the
>willow trees disappearing, there simply isn't the room.  Also,
>unlike an A+S tent, chairs and tables don't come automagically.

Thanks, it is a stunning site. You also haven't been there since. Several
trees have come down. We have 2 shade/rain social pavillions arranged for
this year. We have several tables in addition to that icky wooden picnic
table that haunts us. We have seating for about 20 [which is about what the
A&S tent had, but it didn't have table space to sit and eat at. We have a
serving buffet and beverage serving table in addition to eating tables.

>But SPCA won't have the electric lighting of the A+S tents
>(which means torches, and probably a fire, and they mean smoke
>which is a major negative factor for a number of asthmatics).

We do have non-combustable lighting in the social tents. As the pot luck is
starting at 5, and the sun does not go down until after 8 pm, lighting is
perhaps not as strong an issue. I remember leaving the pennsic pot lucks and
it still being light. Moot point, as we have been moving away from tiki
torches as several of us in camp have lung issues [I for example am both
asthmatic and have COPD due to being exposed twice to phosgene. Not
recommended as something to do over a summer holiday.] Yes we do plan on
having a fire. My pot luck dish this year is mongolian and will be cooked
over the firepit.

margali
SPCA hospitaller and mistress of the kitchen [wanna see my whip?]