[Sca-cooks] Entertaining stories for everyone

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 21 23:10:04 PDT 2002

'Lainie wrote:
<< Folks- these entertaining stories really are helping to cheer me up.
<snip>
Does anyone have fun or disgusting food stories? >>

Well..... There's the story of my first (and so far, only) duck.  I
love the stuff, and decided that it would be cheaper to cook one than
to go out to eat.
So.... I bought a nice frozen rock at the supermarket, thawed it out,
pulled out the innards bag, set it up in the pan and popped it into the
wall oven.
I carefully followed all the instructions in the cook book.  Every 15
minutes, drain off the accumulated fat. OK-- that sounds easy enough.
1st drain, not very much fat -- sucked it up with a baster bulb and
emptied it into a jar. 2nd drain, a repeat of #1 with a bit more fat.
3rd drain - opened the oven door, slammed it shut and yelled "the
Þ%#$ing duck's on fire!!"
Seems the fat was really flowing now, and decided to spurt up onto the
coils and down onto the heat element. Not only was the _duck_ on fire,
but so was all the fat which had splattered onto the sides, top and
bottom of the oven.
A few weeks later, DH installed a new oven for me. The old one had
completely kissed the buffalo.
Someday I'll try another one -- I've got a different set of
instructions to try this time.
(poke holes in the skin, then steam it before roasting) But the first
one DID eat pretty good.

Bethra

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant