[Sca-cooks] chick peas

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Jun 26 12:37:38 PDT 2002

OK, I know that lye has been used to modify the hulls of certain seeds, and
one can extract lye from ash - however dry heating them has also been used.
I think that there is no lye action with dry ashes, however parching teh
garbonzos before cooking them may 'convert' them much like corn or rice is
'converted' by heating them.

Ideas?
margali

the quote starts here:
Take chiches and wrye hem in askes al nyght, other al a day, other lay hem
in hoot aymers. At morowe, waische hem in clene water, and do hem ouere the
fire with clene water.  Seethe hem vp and do therto oyle, garlek hole,
safroun, powdour fort, and salt; seeth it and messe it forth.

Modern English:  Take chickpeas and cover them in ashes all night, or all
day, or lay them in hot embers.  In the morning, wash them in clean water
and
do them over the fire with clean water.  Boil them up and do thereto oil,
whole garlic, saffron, powder fort, and salt; boil it and mess it forth.