[Sca-cooks] A Noble Book of Royal Feasts

Amanda Baker amanda at treaclemine.cix.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 01:08:55 PDT 2002

Greetings,

        The following report has appeared today in the BBC 'review
of the UK newspapers' (see the bottom of the following Web page
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_2069000/2069013.stm)

> An insight into the eating habits of the medieval aristocracy is given
> by the Daily Telegraph.
>
> It reports that the earliest printed cook book in English has been
> discovered at Longleat House in Wiltshire.
>
> "A Noble Book of Royal Feasts", which dates back to 1500, includes
> recipes like "pike and eels in ballocke broth" and details of what was
> consumed at famous feasts.
>
> Henry V's coronation supper lists an impressive number of cooked
> birds, including curlews, gannets, gulls, larks, peacocks, partridges,
> and even the humble sparrow.

        Unfortunately, the Daily Telegraph Web pages can only be
accessed by subscribers, and I cannot seem to register.  Anyone here
already registered at www.telegraph.co.uk, can you follow the link
to the UK news story "How to feed a king - first, splatte your pyke"
and find out more, because my general Web search turned up no more
information!

        Many thanks,

        Amanda