[Sca-cooks] Period statistics?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 2 12:19:31 PDT 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > No, that is data. That is not statistics. Is there
> any evidence that they
> tried to analyze the data as a whole or as part of
> the whole? Or did they
> simply use it as a catalog to determine how much
> money they could get from
> a particular area.

Stefan,

Please keep in mind that in the MA, many of our
Sciences were for them, Arts. No, they didn't have a
Science of Statistics similar to our methods of boring
poor students to tears, but they certainly were
capable of analyses, given enough raw data.

> > Or how bout Albertus Magnus and his detailed
> records
> > of natural sciences? His understanding of those
> statistics helped influence
> > the fields of botany and geology.
>
> I don't believe I've heard of him. More details,
> please?

Hee hee hee. Finally, I can refer you to a file you
don't have ;-)

http://www.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/albert.htm

> > And how many angels can dance on the head of a
> pin? ;-)
>
> That is a theological question and has no basis in
> reality. :-)

Ah, Stefan, your modern mindset is showing again. To a
Medieval person, Theology IS the ultimate reality. How
many times have we run into the mindset of "Kill them
all, and let God sort them out?"

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,