[Sca-cooks] OOP Star Wars

Kelsey kelsey9 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 6 08:46:10 PDT 2002

This came to me on a mundane recipe list a couple of years ago.  No
attribution was given then; it appears below just as it came to me.  I've
actually made this.  I used a couple of different mushrooms.  While it
didn't please the palette of the local Padowan (son who was 10 at the
time), I liked it.  It has a distinctly earthy flavor.

Love and light and laughter
Kels

P.S. Just found attribution!  A note at the bottom of a second recipe that
came to me from the same source at the same time says that it's from
_Yoda's Cookbook_.  The other recipe is a rather ordinary corn
casserole.  Supposedly based on a meal served by Auntie Beru.

******************
ROOTLEAF STEW

We all remember Yoda's special dish for the impatient Jedi-in-training,
Luke  Skywalker. Ah yes, Rootleaf Stew. Now you can remake Yoda's very own
recipe to feed your own Jedi apprentice.

*3 c. coarsely chopped mushrooms
*1 med. onion, chopped
*1/4 c. butter
*1 c. 1/2-in. potato cubes
*1 c. boiling water
*2 c. milk
*2 egg yolks
*2 c. sour cream
*2 tsp. salt
*1/4 tsp. pepper
*1/4 tsp. leaf thyme
*1/8 tsp. mace
*1/8 tsp. nutmeg
*Chopped parsley

Cook mushrooms and onion in butter in heavy saucepan for 3 minutes. Add
potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or
until potatoes are tender; remove from heat. Beat milk and egg yolks
together with fork. Combine with cream, salt, pepper, thyme, mace and
nutmeg. Stir into hot  mixture gradually; bring just to a boil, stirring
constantly.

Serve  immediately. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.

Humor is just another defense against the universe.
-- Mel Brooks