[Sca-cooks] Re: Icelandic chicken was Japanese

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jun 7 04:58:09 PDT 2002

At 03:35 AM 6/6/02 -0700, Betty Cook wrote:
>'Lainie wrote:
>
>>  > I do have a food question though, and it may be semi-related. What's the
>>>  deal with presenting dishes as 'foreign' when they really aren't?
Icelandic
>>>  chicken, which isn't Icelandic, is the example that immediately comes to
>>  > mind.
<snip>

>I'm afraid that one was our fault.
<snip>
> If I remember
>correctly, we cooked it for one feast in more recent years and called
>it "chicken in paste", which is a more accurate name, but I doubt it
>will ever be able to displace "Icelandic Chicken".

Yup. Though the Gang o' Girls love the 'Icelandic Chicken', I call it "Oh
no- Not Again- Can't We Have Something Else?"

They did discover (when teh dutch oven proved too large for the firepit
arrangement they had) that doing it wrapped in foil and stuck in the coals
wasn't too bad, though the bread got a little charred. They said it was
moist inside.

(They recently did the Memorial Day Weekend event without me- cooked all
period food, over wood fire since I wasn't there to wheeze- had a great
time- and concluded it was an awful lot of work! I scored serious points
and I wasn't even there!)

'Lainie
-nature called but it was a wrong number. Going back to bed.