[Sca-cooks] feast planning help...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jun 7 12:03:59 PDT 2002

Get hold of the books by Catherine Brown and Annette Hope
for the Scots parts---
Broths to Bannocks: Cooking in Scotland 1690
to the Present Day by Catherine Brown which is OP
and says 1690 but it does cover some of the earlier
stuff too. See also her Scottish Cookery.

Caledonian Feast by Annette Hope.
Mainstream Publishing, - 1998 is good to read too.
also a 1980's UK hardback and paperback.

The classic volume is still
The Scots Kitchen by F. Marian NcNeill which
came out of the folk cookery movement back in the
1920's. It still has a lot of interesting stuff in it,
even though it's not going to provide and outline
a 13th century feast for you.

Another is
The Laird's Kitchen by Olive M. Geddes and the
National Library of Scotland. It's subtitled
Three Hundred Years of Food in Scotland which means
again it's better on the later foods, but it does
have a bibliography and is interesting.

Try interlibrary loan for all of them.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" wrote:snipped
 I have therefore decided to plan this according to period feast
> menus, seasonally appropriate ingredients, and humoral theory.>
> My time and place of choice is 1250s, Scotland. Basically a Norman English
> feast with Scottish influences. This is the feast for which I am trying to
> figure out how to manage serving elk (or red deer, whichever comes
> cheaper).
What I need is guidance from wiser heads than mine.