[Sca-cooks] MY new herb garden...

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Sat Jun 8 20:01:43 PDT 2002

I have a copy of _Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden_.  It is a very beautifully illustrated book, including many
photographs of the herbs and artistic landscape shots.  It's fairly standard as far as herbals go (mentioning: latin
name, other common names, ruling planet, medicinal cullinary and miscellaneous uses) except that every herb included
is refered to in the novels - and this book mentions the excact passage in each novel they are mentioned.  There is
an additional list of medieval plants and herbs at the end of the book.  It also has a fairly extensive
bibliography, including Nicholas Culpeper and John Gerard.

I enjoy my copy, mind you I'm also a huge fan of the series.
Faerisa

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
<snip>So of course now my mind is wandering to herbal things midicinal and ofcourse, culinary.  I rediscovered an
herb book I have _The Medieval Herb Garden_.  By next year I hope to have a bigger herbal space and will grow more
of the herbs that were used "back then" for healing etc. It all reminds me of _Brother Cadfael's Herbal Book_. At
least I think that is the title.  Does anyone have this book or an opinion of this book? Is it a *must have* or is
it just hype?